Monday, November 22, 2010

Brownies in an Orange!

Dear Tiffany,

If you answer the phone while scooping the insides out of oranges, your phone will smell really yummy.  Just saying.

I'm not going to count this as one of my 365 recipes, because I'm using brownie mix from a box (lazy, I know), and its something I've never done before, but I saw a video of these and wanted to try it out.  My hands smell really yummy.  ahh. I love the smell of oranges.

You slice off the top of your oranges, scrape all the fruit out of the inside, and fill them with brownie batter (I used the kind from the box, but if you have a recipe for brownies that will work fine too).  If you want them to look "pretty," you don't want to fill them to the top, as they will expand and spill over.  If you want them to make a huge mess, go ahead and fill them to the top and they'll look like mine did :).

I made mine in my toaster oven because I don't have a real oven. I'm always a little hesitant about baking desserts in the toaster oven, because you can't control the temperature so the bake times are not the same.  According to the Cooking for Geeks guy, they should take about 20-25 minutes with the oven temp set according to the brownie mix directions (check for doneness with a toothpick, it should only be slightly coated).  Mine took longer due to my wannabe oven- about 35 minutes.    Dust with powdered sugar and serve.

My tendency is to always bake stuff too long, because it tends to not look done until it cools.  Its better to be undercooked than overcooked this time.  If you undercook these you'll just end up with yummy lava cakes instead :).

With one of these, I filled it about halfway with the brownie mix, then added a spoonful of orange marmalade before filling the rest of the way- and it turned out great!  It was was a little more liquidy due to the marmalade, which made the cheap $1 brownie mix taste a little smoother.

The Verdict: I really liked these!  They were fun to make, a cute idea and really yummy (the orange pulp really infuses even my cheap dollar brownie mix with great flavor.  I'm planning to make them for some Christmas treats, and I think this would taste good in lemons too.  I'll have to try that next time, there's a tree full of them out in the backyard.

-Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment