Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Slow-cooker Apple Cider!

Hi Tiff,
At tonight's dinner, you missed out on homemade hot apple cider!  Wish you could have made it- we had fun making meatballs and shrimp cocktail, and laughed a lot.  My house smells yummy.  
This was really super simple, but Stephanie asked me to post it because after a few sips she decided she wanted to make it herself.  I just filled the slow cooker (my small one is 3.5 quarts, but you could also just use your larger one and only fill with as much as you want to make) with apple juice, and dropped in about a teaspoon of whole cloves and two cinnamon sticks, and let it cook on high for 4 or 5 hours.  You could do it on low all day; I just did it on high because at first I forgot to plug the slow cooker in (uh, oops?), and just keep cooking it until the spices have absorbed to your liking.  If you don't want as much spice flavor, take them out after a couple of hours- I left mine in the whole time and it turned out great.  Too bad the picture didn't turn out as good...


This is a great party drink!  It feels kind of fancy to ladle your cider into a cup like you'd do with punch at a wedding.  Plus you can set your crockpot on its "keep warm" setting and your cider will stay hot as long as you need it to.  When mine finishes cooling, I'm going to pour what's left over back into the bottle and refrigerate it so I can have cider the rest of this week.


Enjoy!  (we must work out a cooking date soon since you missed this one!)
-joy

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for posting it! We should make it for Girls Ministries sometime!
    The picture looks great, too! :)

    ReplyDelete